Watch my directed drawing video on how to draw a cute cartoon unicorn
Today I’d like to do an easy directed drawing tutorial on how to draw a cute cartoon unicorn 🦄. We’ll use a couple of easy overlapping techniques on the unicorn’s horn and legs to give our cartoon unicorn a little depth. This directed drawing should be simple enough for preschool and kindergarten kids, as well as for older kids and adults just getting started with drawing. Let’s make some drawing magic! 🌈 – Patrick O.
Follow these directed drawing instructions that make a cartoon unicorn drawing easy:
- Start by drawing the cartoon unicorn’s head. Draw an oval shape for the unicorn’s head, but don’t connect it to itself on the top just yet. Draw a small downward arc to connect the top of the oval.
- Next draw the unicorn’s magic horn. Draw a slightly diagonal line up from one side of the arc and then down to the other side to create cartoon unicorn’s horn. Then add some diagonal lines in the horn to make it spiral.
- Then draw the cartoon unicorn’s eyes. Draw two circles near the top of the head for the unicorn’s eyes. Draw two smaller circles inside the eyes for the pupils. Fill the pupils in, while leaving a spot of white in the upper right of each for light reflection.
- Draw the unicorn’s nose, mouth and ears. First, add the unicorn’s nose by drawing two small circles near the bottom of the oval. And then draw the unicorn’s mouth with a small arc just under the head. Finish this step by drawing two ears on the top of the head to either side of the horn.
- Now let’s draw the cartoon unicorn’s body and legs. Start with curved line under the unicorn’s mouth. Once the curve is done, draw a long line down, a little over, and then up again for a front leg. Draw a horizontal line for the belly, and then another hind leg similar to the front one. Finally, continue the hind leg line up and curve it over to eventually meet with the side of the head, creating the unicorn’s back.
- Add two more legs and hooves to the cartoon unicorn. Just in front of the front leg, draw another line down and over to create the other front leg. Do the same in front of the hind leg to create the other hind leg. Then draw some zig-zagged lines across the bottom of all four legs to create the unicorn’s hooves.
- Draw the unicorn’s tail. Start with a curved line down from the back of the unicorn. At the end of that line, draw a short zig-zagged line to create the effect of hair. Then connect the tail with another curved line back up to where we started.
- Finish by drawing the unicorn’s mane. Draw a line out starting near the left ear, and then zig zag it down to the back.