Watch my directed drawing video on how to draw a cartoon shark
Hello, today let’s draw an easy cartoon shark 🦈. There are a couple details we will need to add to make sure it looks like a shark and not another fish or a whale. The trickier parts to draw can be the tail and the placement of the mouth, but let’s take it slow and see if we can do it together. My goal was to make this directed drawing easy enough for preschoolers and kindergarteners, but also challenging for older kids and adults that are just getting started with drawing. Please go ahead and pause the shark video tutorial when you need to catch up. As far as supplies, you just need is a pencil, pen or marker and sheet of paper. And of course feel free to color it in afterwards if you’d like. Enjoy! – Patrick O.
Follow these directed drawing instructions that make a cartoon shark drawing easy to do:
- First, let’s draw the dorsal fin (on top of the shark). Draw a straight line up in the top, middle of the paper. Then a curved line back down.
- Next, draw the cartoon shark’s body. Draw straight or slightly angled lines out from the top fin. Then from the tip of the left line draw a big curved line down and back, that comes close, but doesn’t quite connect with the tip of the right line. The body should have a boat-like shape now.
- Now let’s draw the cartoon shark’s tail. From the top line on the right draw a curved line up. Then from the line below it, draw a smaller line curving the other way. Connect those two lines to complete the tail, which should have a crescent shape.
- Let’s draw the shark’s nose and eye. In the top left corner of the body draw a small circle for the shark’s nose. Just to the right of the nose draw a larger circle for the shark’s eye. Let’s make our shark looking forward. To do this, add another small curved line on the left side of the eye for the pupil. Color the pupil in, leaving a little white space at the top for a shiny effect. Finally, add a curved line above the eye for an eyebrow.
- Next, let’s draw the cartoon shark’s mouth and sharp teeth. Draw a line from the left edge of the body, just under the eye, and curve it up to a spot just to the right of the eye. Then turn it sharply down and back to the edge of the shark’s body again to finish the cartoon shark’s mouth. Add a little curved line at the sharp corner to make a cheek. Now draw a zig-zagged line back and forth from the top of the mouth to the bottom to create lots of sharp shark’s teeth.
- Add a side fin to the shark. Just to the right of the mouth and down a little, draw an angled line out towards the back of the shark, and then sharply back in again to create the side fin.
- Finally, draw the shark’s gills. Draw three curved lines in a row to the right of the cheek, giving the cartoon shark some gills so it can breath easy underwater.