Watch my directed drawing video on how to draw a simple soccer ball or football
Growing up in the United States I played a little soccer, or as they call it in the rest of the world – football. I was always fascinated by how the 5- and 6-sided patches of a soccer ball could be sown together to make a ball shape. Maybe I would have been a little better at soccer if I thought more about scoring instead 😉. Anyway… today I’d like to walk you through one easy way to draw a classic soccer ball ⚽️. My hope as always is to make this directed drawing easy enough for kids in pre-k and kindergarten, as well as fun enough for older kids and adults that are just getting started with drawing. Please pause the soccer ball/football video when you need to catch up. As for supplies, you just need a pencil, pen or marker and sheet of paper. And of course feel free to color it in afterwards. Go team! – Patrick O.
Follow these directed drawing instructions that make a soccer ball / football drawing easy to do:
- First, draw a big circle in the middle of the page. This is the outline of the soccer ball.
- Next, draw pentagon (5-sided shape) in the middle of the circle. Do your best to keep the sides the same length as each other.
- Then draw one line out from each of the 5 corners of the pentagon. The lines should end about halfway to the edge of the circle.
- Now split the lines into a Y-shape. Draw the new lines long enough so that they come close, but do not touch the edge of the circle.
- Connect each line to the edge of the ball with another short line in the opposite direction. This will create 5 new “flat” pentagon shapes around the edge of the soccer ball/football.
- Now connect the corners of each of the new pentagons with the ones next to them. These lines will create hexagon (6-sided) shapes in between each of the pentagons.
- Color or fill in the shapes. I filled in the pentagons shapes with my marker, but feel free to color in your ball with whatever colors and patterns you think will look cool. If you have a ball at home you can even try to copy that.
- Add some actions lines to finish! This will make it look like the soccer ball/football is coming out of the page!