Hey everyone, today I thought we could try to draw a cartoon Tyrannosaurus Rex 🦖. Everyone knows what a T-Rex looks like, but it can actually be tricky to draw the lines just right so that it doesn’t end up looking like something else. I found that a square-ish head worked well, as well as strong legs and a forward lean. My hope was to make the drawing simple enough for pre-k and kindergarteners, and also fun for older kids and adults. Ready, set, go! 😁 – Patrick O.
Watch my video on how to draw a cartoon T. Rex dinosaur
In this 🎬 video tutorial I will show you how to draw a cartoon Tyrannosaurus Rex by following easy steps and using simple strokes and shapes. If you would like to take it a little slower, the instructions are repeated below using animated GIFs.
Follow these animated step-by-step instructions that make a cartoon T-rex dinosaur drawing easy:
- First, draw the T-rex dinosaur’s head. Start by drawing a rectangle that doesn’t quite connect in the bottom right corner.
- Next, draw the T-rex dinosaur’s back and tail. From the back of the head, continue the open line diagonally down to the right to draw the cartoon dinosaur’s back. Then complete the dinosaur’s tail by drawing a straight line back towards the left, and stopping it so its about half of the length of the back.
- Now let’s draw the T-rex dinosaur’s hind legs. Draw some connecting diagonal lines for the back of the legs, a flat foot with a little curved line for the toe area. Then a diagonal line up, followed by a big half circle for the front of the dinosaur’s powerful hind leg.
- Then draw the T-rex dinosaur’s arm’s and claws. For the cartoon dinosaur’s little arm, draw a diagonal line up from the front of the leg to the open line of the head, while adding a little outward point halfway up. Finish the arms with two little curved lines for the T-Rex’s sharp claws, and a couple curved lines in the foot area for the bottom claws.
- Now let’s add some eyes and nostrils to the T-rex dinosaur. Draw a cartoon eye looking forward near the upper back part of the dinosaur’s head, and a little circle for a nostril in the upper front of the head.
- Draw the T-rex dinosaur’s mouth and sharp teeth! For the cartoon T-Rex’s mouth, draw a little curved line under the eye that straightens out and goes all the way to the front of the head. The add some small triangles under it for sharp, carnivorous dinosaur teeth! Finish with a little curved line for an eye brow – giving our dinosaur a mischievous look.
- Finish by drawing the T-rex dinosaur’s back spines. To do this, draw some small triangular ripples along the length cartoon dinosaur’ back and tail.
Thats it. Grrrrrrreat! 🦖