Watch my directed drawing video on how to draw a simple 3D coffee mug/cup
I have gotten a few request lately to do some simple three-dimensional and perspective drawings, so I though we could start off will a simple coffee mug ☕️. In this drawing we will use a cylinder shape and learn where to place the lines so that it looks like you can see right into the cup. My hope was to make this directed drawing easy enough for preschoolers and kindergarteners, but also fun for older kids and adults that are just getting started. Please feel free to pause the 3D coffee mug/cup video tutorial when you need to catch up. As far as supplies, all you need is a pencil, pen or marker and sheet of paper. And of course feel free to color it in afterwards if you’d like. Have fun! – Patrick O.
Follow these directed drawing instructions that make a 3D coffee cup drawing easy to do:
- First, let’s draw the top of the coffee mug. Draw a flat oval near the middle top of the page.
- Next, draw sides of the coffee mug. Draw a straight line down from each side of the oval that are about the same length.
- Then draw the bottom of the 3D coffee mug. Simply connect the bottom of each side with a curved line in between. Try to make the curve the same as the bottom half of the first oval that you drew. You should now see a cylinder shape on the page.
- Add a handle to the mug. On one side of the coffee mug draw a half circle shape by drawing a curved line out, slightly down, and then back again. Draw a similar, but smaller half circle shape inside the first one to create the mug handle.
- Now let’s draw the coffee inside the 3D mug. To do this, draw another curved line inside the top oval shape. The curve should start on the bottom of the oval, a little bit away from the side. The line should then arc across the page to the other side of the oval – again just a little away from the side. Now fill in the space under this new line with a dark color to finish the coffee.
- Let’s draw some steam coming up from the hot coffee. Above the coffee draw two or three squiggly lines up. That’s it!
- Finish by decorating your 3d coffee mug. On the front of the cup draw a heart, words, or anything else you think would look good on your mug!
That’s it. Tasty! ☕️